Thursday, December 19, 2013

The village.

The happy News I was always waiting to hear every December when I  was younger.


 My mother saying to us "Ma' rie Iguo ododo". It  means we  are going to our village. Our village of Ododo! For christmas.

We become excited. Too excited for words. We pack up and head to the bus station and get sardined (my word) into the old rickety 1960 Ford bus.

14 seater bus taking 24 people with goods and maybe some live animals.  We all get squashed up. Even the driver.  Lmao!!

We really do not care because we will be seeing our Grandpa Samuel (RIP) , our cousins,  our aunties, uncles,  friends, wellwishers, infact the whole village soon.

Watching the bus passing from one village to the other was memorable.  And as the villagers waved at us we giggled and waved back.

When we finally  get to Iguo Ododo, we transform  from city kids to village kids instantly.

 Covered with dust and running bared footed to the stream was my childhood heaven.

I miss Iguo ododo, I miss my Grandpa!

Yall have a good day.




1 comment:

  1. See why Stella rocks!!! My own grandparents lived in Benin city but as an adult I went with some relatives to our village, you need to have seen my joy.

    ReplyDelete