Sunday, July 20, 2014

Victims

When we were younger, my mother started traveling with a group of women to Village markets to buy large quantities of foodstuffs. Large quantities of yams, tomatoes, peppers, etc. she told me it was very profitable then.

But as the keepers of my siblings I used to wait and wait and wait for her. We have a dad who was constantly on the road( job). So, it was just me and my siblings watching the road for hours and hours into the midnight.  Sometimes, our kind neighbors will sit and wait with us. No cell phone era.

The feeling of seeing her being dropped off was the best sight ever. The best feeling for any kid waiting for a loved one, a mother. But one day we waited like forever and went to sleep without her. My heart was breaking but sleep won.  She came home the following day and never went back to that business or left us alone that long again. I thought she saw our tears all dried up on our little faces.

She later explained to me that their lorry/ truck had an accident and the truck started rolling backwards and backwards and backwards and then stopped abruptly. They were on the bridge and the truck was stopped by a guard rail. 

My mom and other women were seating at the back of the lorry/truck and they were all gonna roll into the Okwaheir River. They were saved. She got spooked and quit. We could have lost our mother that day.

My heart goes out to the families of the recent plane crash,  missing planes, war and everyday loss of loved ones.

Prayers.



No comments:

Post a Comment